Miike Snow: The Band, The Facts, The Music
• Miike Snow is a band, not a man. They are made up of American Andrew Wyatt and Swedish producers/multi-instrumentalists Christian Karlsson & Pontus Winnberg (Bloodshy & Avant).
• Karlsson & Winnberg, who produce/write as Bloodshy & Avant, and coincidentally both have mustaches, are responsible for a number of this decade’s pop hits, most notably Britney Spears’ “Toxic” & “Radar,” as well as tracks by Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Jordin Sparks, Kylie Minoque, and more.
• Miike Snow took half their name from the controversial Japanese film director Takashi Miike, therefore the proper pronunciation should be “me-ee-keh,” not “mike” as is commonly used (even by the band).
• Karlsson, Winnberg, & Wyatt recorded the album as a side project from their other work and never expected to tour or the music to become so popular. When demand for a tour became apparent they added three touring musicians to fill out their live sound.
When on tour with the fantastic Jack Peñate, they open their set with “Burial.”
• They also wear expressionless white masks until midway through their second song, and current single, “Black & Blue.”
• Their breakthrough hit, “Animal,” has achieved many things: one of the best songs of the year, has two videos (1, 2), was played live in the woods and on Jimmy Kimmel, and is looking to take the prize for most remixes by people who don’t blow.
♫ Miike Snow – Animal (Mark Ronson Remix) [more of a cover, really] ♡
• “Cult Logic” is my favorite track off the album but Miike have never played it live and it’s only “remix” is a recent on-point mash-up by The Hood Internet.
[More words and pictures of their live show at Tastes Like Caramel.]
Bury your face in MiiSpace