the flames we
have framed with our burning reaction, the planes stuck in planes we’re fighting for action
- Who: A former member of The Polyphonic Spree and his bandmates.
- What: Dreamy indie rock-scapes, kinda like David Bowie, Rufus Wainright
- Where: Brooklyn + Facebook / Bandcamp / Amazon
- When: Debut LP Electra is out now.
- Why: When you are invited to a friend of your friend’s girlfriend’s show in some venue you have never heard of it doesn’t always turn out so well. But sometimes it does! Guess which one this story is about? You got it! Sky White Tiger, their all-white ensemble, and tripped out projections wormed their way into my ear holes and I’ve been chewing on Electra ever since. Opening track “Awaiting Instruction”welcomes us to the album with a meandering musical tale that serves a perfect introduction to band’s sound. “It Flows” takes the reign a few tracks later for a slow burner that brings me back to the 90s in some way. The gravelly vocals and melancholy grooves evoke some of that decades signature alternative rock but I would hesitate to put them in that genre. Hints of psychedelic rock keep giving their music flashes of color and an off edge that sets it apart. Did I mention they are good live?