Songs are pretty amazing things. It’s magical that such a small thing can be so powerful. In the blink of an eye a song can make you smile, dance, cry, think, laugh, etc. These are the ones that did all those things for me the second half of 2011.
♫ = Click to play & right-click to download
25. ♫ The Lisps – Try / A late addition in the year but after it became a family anthem during the holidays it solidified it’s greatness. A paerfect song to kick of 2012 with!
24. ♫ Washington – How To Tame Lions / Easy to dismiss on first listen. Impossible to on your 19th.
23. ♫ Handsome Furs – Repatriated / A massive recording and even bigger live. If you aren’t moving now you are dead. Or hate rock music. Same thing, really.
22. ♫ Swiss Lips – U Got The Power / I hope you tidied your head cause this one moves in and hangs posters. And it doesn’t abide by noise curfews.
21. ♫ Jelly Jells – Beautiful / Raw, from the heart, and incredibly catchy. An anthem for all of us.
20. ♫ Butcher Blades – Jigsaw Limbs / Still one of the most innovative and original bands in the game. Harsh sounds and tender vocals married in blissful harmony.
19. ♫ DWNTWN – Hungry Hearts / The fact that this track hasn’t risen up from the internets and taken over the world is astounding.
18. ♫ Heems – WOMYN aka HITCH / Women need the praise and men need the advice. And I need more Heems rhymes. Shampoo!
17. ♫ Brown Shoe – Late Nights / Lyrics that probably resonate with everyone that has heard it. Plus the music stops me in my tracks every time I hear it.
16. ♫ I Am In Love – Call Me An Animal / Be cautious listening to this jam while operating motor vehicles. Dangerous speeds may occur.
15. ♫ M83 – Midnight City / The song that spawed a million remixes was pretty damn good to begin with.
14. ♫ Pictureplane – Post Physical / An odd title because all this song makes me want to do is get physical and steam up some windows.
13. ♫ Urban Cone – Urban Photograph / The Swedes know catchy, bouncy, indie pop. It must be in the water.
12. ♫ Capital Cities – Safe and Sound / How did “Pumped Up Kicks” become the summer anthem for a second year instead of this jam coming out of every 4th of July boombox?
11. ♫ Yalls – Germs / Can I coin the term gurgle-pop? It’s gonna be big in 2012.
10. ♫ Christopher Norman – Maps / It’s only a gentle mist of a song but on sometimes that’s all you need.
9. ♫ tUnE-YarDs – Gangsta / White chicks singing about being gangsta has never been a good idea until now.
8. ♫ Walk The Moon – I Can Lift a Car / Harmony of the year. I dare you not to sing along. So damn good.
7. ♫ Shabazz Places – Swerve… The reeping of all that is worthwhile (Noir not withstanding) / Creeping and crunching with authority, this jam is equal parts weird and amazing. Plus: mad flow.
6. ♫ Y Luv – All Night / Stadium sized rock is not dead.
5. ♫ Azealia Banks – 212 / Massive dirty dance music with more twists than a Dan Brown novel.
4. ♫ Mammal Club – Otter / Angular British indie rock at it’s grandest.
3. ♫ Bombay Bicycle Club – Shuffle / Piano! Drums! Guitar! Vocals! Bass! Handclaps! Everything is too much fun!
2. ♫ Drake – Marvins Room / I know Drake doesn’t want people saying they “feel” him but on this jam I feel him. I feel his weight. Like it or not, he conveys it all so well one can’t help it.
1. ♫ Gotye – Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) / Because the song is good. Because then it gets great. Because just when you think it’s one man’s woes, we get the other side. Because at 3:01 I get shivers down my spine. Because we all have somebody that we used to know.
/// ZIP File ///