the cute boy is falling off the speaker, don’t be my friend, there’s a party in my mouth you can take a picture
- Who: Producer Yonathan Goldshtein & Israeli gay music icon Ivri Lider
- What: Smart dance pop, like XX
- Where: Tel Aviv, Israel + Facebook / Soundcloud / Amazon
- When: Their debut LP is out now.
- Why: The Young Professionals made a huge impression on me early last year with ”D.I.S.C.O.” It was one of the year’s best tracks and host to the legendary video. Their album was going to have some big shoes to fill. At 14 tracks 9:00 to 17:00 fits a bit too much into clunky shoe but I’ll be damned if it isn’t a great foot. Second single “20 Seconds” is obviously great but it comes with a whole team of mega-jams that give it a run for it’s money. “Pop” is a delicately groovy piece of soundtrack-esque introspection. ”Deserve” is a roller coaster ride of self doubt and dancing. ”Fuck Off Berlin” incorporates the middle finger into a robot dance routine. “Blood Makes Noise” churns and chugs like a friday night inter-city train full of hormonal teens.
After taking in just a few of these tracks its clear that self analysis is at the forefront of Lider’s lyrics. He is a man unafraid of taking a cold hard look at his weaknesses. Respect for that. But funnily enough, he doesn’t sing about not making whip-smart pop music. He may be even wiser that we think.
NOTE: I have been selected by the Vibe Israel program to visit the country for a week in March to meet musicians and DJs and generally take in all the rich musical culture they have to offer. Stay tuned for more from Israel, The Young Professionals, and all the other music I am sure to discover on that amazing trip.