Lets not talk about the fact this year is already half over. Thats just insane. About as insane as the quality of jams that have been pumping through TBE HQ’s speakers these past 6 months. Here is the best of the best. Did I miss any? Did you miss any?
(Thanks toÂ Vladimir BobritskiyÂ for the album art.)
25.Â My Great Ghost – Plain SightÂ / A pulsating,Â haunting, andÂ thoroughlyÂ beautiful journey.
â™«Â Acollective – Girls
I just realized that after my post-Israel obsess-fest over “Stolen Goods” (below) I never gave a proper album review of Acollective’s Onwards LP. Well, this won’t be it. Consider it more of a friendly reminder to pourÂ yourselfÂ a stiff drink and dive into the rollicking gypsy folk rock of these live-show beasts.
pack up your things and get out, i can’t stand your taste in my mouth
- Who:Â Idan Rabinovici,Â Roy Rieck, & 5 other epic dudes.
- What: Funk folk rock, like Jukebox The Ghost, Gogol Bordello
- Where: Tel Aviv, Israel + FacebookÂ / Bandcamp / Amazon
- When: Debut LP Onwards is out now.
- Why: Quiet the area around you, close your eyes, and let “Stolen Goods” wash over you like the morning tide. It comes it soft before slowly rippling up your ankles and ending in a crash over your body. Having this song introduced to you live is a luxury not many will get but I can tell you it had an effect on me. It was about 27 seconds in before I knew I had to have Acollective at the TBE showcases at SXSW. I did. They rocked other songs too but this one still gripped me something fierce.
- If the only Israeli music you are familiar with is The Young Professionals (or god forbid Infected Mushroom…) then prepare to have your horizon’s expanded. Don’t worry the process will be painless. However, other side effects may include shivers up your spine, uncontrollable dancing, and maximal merriment. Just see these guys live and you will understand. Or stay tuned for a full album review (& other stories from my trip with Kinetis) although I recommend beating me to the punch and getting your own copy.
What can I say about day 4 that wont make you green with St Paddy’s themed envy if you weren’tÂ actuallyÂ there to witness it? A bonus set by new TBE faves Cherub happened. Plus a lot more varieties of rock (sexy, tender, party, etc). Stay tuned for a proper recap of my favorite shows of the TBE parties but in the meantime read on for the 360 interviews! Read more
Yes, the rumors are true. The Burning Ear is in full effect at this year’s SXSW. With the help of Joel’s Lights & Music Entertainment and the awesome people at The Firehouse Lounge & Hostel we have cooked up the biggest blog curated lineup Austin has ever seen. Plus, it’s FREE! Â Seriously. Sit down before you click through to the full event page.
I wont even get into too many details here lest those of you not in Austin this week flip out with jealousy. If you feel strong enough then dip down below for some teasers. I hope to see some of you come and rock out! Don’t forget to say hi and high-five!
4 Days Â | Â 3 Levels Â | Â 40+ live shows | FREE
FEATURING: Jukebox The Ghost – Gigamesh – Gemini Club – Polarsets – DWNTWN – Slow Club – ANR – & many more!