HUMANS don’t care whether you’re a devout acid house ‘head or you don’t know the difference between an 808 and a 303 – you’re gonna move your feet to “Boys & Girls”. If you’re running low on dance moves, feel free to cop a few from the characters in the 360 VR music video below – don’t worry, we won’t tell.
Well folks, this is it. The moment you have all been waiting for since I foolishlyÂ started this multipart post during SXSW. Make sure youÂ have read Part 1 (60-41) and Part 2 (40-21)Â before diving into these jams. But without further ado, I present the top 20 Best Underrated Songs of the past 6 years. Listen to them closely and frequently. They deserve the love.Â Read more
Music for… drunkenly bringing an empty coffee tin and a weirdÂ hat to the club. The hat is just to help you get loose. The coffee tin is for singing your woes into as you dance along to the fuzzed out electronic funk of Humans. Bonus points if you get a caffeine buzz off the fumes.
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Future: New album Noontide dropped yesterday.
I said I would and now I am! More music video madness for y’all to dive your eyes & ears into. As I think we all do, I watch a lot of boring, stale, and unimaginative music videos these days. YetÂ I am continually refreshed by the sheer number of quality videos that are also being produced. From simple low budget stomach turners like Humans’ latest to years-in0the-making animated mind benders like Black Light Dinner Party’s new one. Dems go rough with their special effects and Clubfeet go seamless and both kept me engaged for every second. And Local Natives went all beautifully oddball on us. The only unifying aspect of these videos is there are no performance shots. NoÂ band membersÂ playing any instruments. Who needs that!?
HUMANS – “Wicked Games” ft. Tristan Orchard
Don’t look away. And please, dont Read more
I’m changing up the music video game around TBE and instead of posting individually will be doing weekly roundups of the week’s notable videos. Holler in the comments if you hate it. Ditto if you love it. This week has some heavy hitters. Most notably from a major softie. Thank you Jessie.
Jessie Ware – “Sweet Talk”
Cuteness of epic proportions. Always refreshing to see Read more
i will never know and i will never showÂ
â™«Â Humans – De Ciel
- Who:Â Peter & Robbie
- What:Â Weirdo beat grooves, like LCD Soundsystem, Black Light DInner Party, Digits
- Where: Vancouver, Canada + Facebook
- When: The Traps EP is out.
- Why: Did I mention that Humans kicked ass live on Thursday? I did? Good. Thats important. What’s also important is their new EP Traps which is full of the kind of loopy grooves and beats that I fell in love with on “Avec Mes Mecs.”Â Robbie’s voice wraps it all together into gloriously delicate and mesmerizing package. “De Ciel” bumps and popsÂ straightÂ into my core, igniting limb movement right off the bat. “Possession” is a big “oooh ooh” sing along number that dabbles in cowbell and stutter beats. The video for “Horizon” (below) is fine example of the band’sÂ sensibilities. A blend of the serious and silly. Even though the songs are not overtly goofy I’ve seen few other bands have more giddy fun playing music than these two.
When I booked Humans and Young Empires back-to-back at Day 1 of The Burning Ear SXSW parties I knew it would be a good pairing but never knew that the two bands would vibe so hard they would end up touring together. Thursday night I felt like a proud father. Two band’s from my motherland of Canada rocking socks in my hometown. Humans kicked off the fun with Robbie’s awesome vocals wrapping around the surging grooves as the room started moving. Young Empires followed up with a rocking set of their tropical “haute rock” that was about as tight as they come. These guys deliver the goods every time. Just watching Read more
Holy smokes. What a day. So much great music. So much sweat coming out of so many talented pores. So much healing for my eardrums to do. Except they are gonna have to wait because we have 3 more days of madness! But enough about the future, lets take a peek at the past. Last night surprise guests Read more
Every once in a while I meet someone who casually mentions that music videos are dead and I’m always shocked. Music videos have never been more alive and vibrant than they are now in the age of video democracy online. This post is a celebration of the creative spirit that fights every day to set great songs to even better visuals. You guys are my heroes.
Watch the videos in a countdown stye playlist below or continue on to catch them embedded 1-by-1 with my woefully minimal commentary.Â
Ahem! Excuse me. If you thought you were taking a break because last weekend was New Years Eve then forget it. This is the first weekend of 2012 and it’s time to kick things off right. Below is a list of the best remixes of the past 6 months and they are quite restless so please let them out this weekend. Walks and feeding are optional.
Any glaring errors in judgement? Any additions you would make? Any good pizza in L.A.?
â™«Â = Click to play &Â right-click to download
25. â™«Â Humans – Avec Mes Mecs (Joseph Martin Remix)Â / Epic song. Turned up to 11. Who knew that all we had to was party?
24. â™«Â The Static Jacks – Into The Sun (RAC Maury Mix)Â / I like my bass (guitar) down low.
23.Â â™«Â Kings of Leon – Sex On Fire (Al Fingers’ Juicy Remix)Â / Nope. It wasn’t all a dream. It really happened and it was good.
22. â™«Â Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata (Sound Remedy Remix)Â / Don’t fuck with a classic unless you are going to do it justice. That goes double for my dog Beethoven. Good thing justice was served! Plus: wobbles I can stand.
21. â™«Â Enrique Iglesias – I Like How It Feels (DWNTWN remixxx)Â / The original was on in every clothing store in the world for a while there. Making it massively enjoyable again is a huge feat.
20. â™«Â Jeremy Glen – New Life (Amtrac Remix)Â / Soulful pipes strapped on express Amtrac headed for Danceville. Two tickets please.
19. â™«Â Jessie and The Toy Boys – Push It (Doctor Rosen Rosen Remix)Â / It’s all about the chopped up “ohh” beat. Ride it.
18.Â â™«Â Body Language – Holiday (RAC Mix)Â / Honey baked happiness! Candy coated danceability! Sugar roasted rhythms!
17. â™«Â M83 – Midnight City (Alcala Remix)Â / One of the top remixed songs of the year had stiff competition but Alcala’s slow build explodes the original into the stratospheric massiveness that it always hinted at.
16.Â â™«Â Grouplove – Colours (Foster the People Remix)Â / Grouplove and Foster The People? It’s like multiplying rainbows together. Of course it’s gonna be awesome.
15. â™«Â EverythingEverything – Final Form (Cats Hero Remix)Â / One of the most spastic bands around stay exactly that way. And all is good in the world.
14. â™«Â Gotye – Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) (The 14th Minute Remix)Â / Piano! There were exactly 427 remixes of this song last year. Only The 14th Minute’s makes this list. (Although some others actually were pretty good)
13. â™«Â Unouomedude – Frequency (The Soundmen Remix)Â / The Soundmen, man. The mutha-freakin Soundmen. Get some.
12. â™«Â Angus and Julia Stone – Big Jet Plane (Stern* Disco Remix)Â / I almost scared to hear the original for fear of ruining the wide-legged elastic swagger of this hot buttered groover. So sexy.
11. â™«Â Rihanna – We Found Love (Viceroy Remix)Â / Don’t hate. Dance. And make weird noises to the beat. No better or more refreshing take on this saturated jam.
10.Â â™«Â Theophilus London – Why Even Try (RAC Remix)Â / A thousand fantastic RAC mixes ago there was this one. The soundtrack to an indie carnival fun house. Classic.
9. â™«Â We Barbarians – Headspace (Grouplove + Captain Cuts Remix)Â / Remix tag team! This one goes off the high ropes at 0:40 for a full mat slam that keeps me pumped and robot dancing for like forever.
8. â™«Â Citizens! – True Romance (Gigamesh Remix)Â / From the moment Gigamesh drops that beat it’s all over. The windows are down and I’m practically climbing out the window to get the whipping wind on my face. Thank goodness for seat belts.
7. â™«Â Kelly Clarkson – Mr Know It All (It’s The DJ Kue Remix!)Â / DJ Kue absolutely crushed it this year. Radio pop has never had such a generous friend. You tell ’em Kelly! DJ Kue got your back!
6. â™«Â Donnis feat. Dev – Ring My Bell (DJ Hotsauce remix)Â / THE remix of the summer.
5. â™«Â M83 – Midnight City (remixÃ© par Who Killed JR)Â / The piano intro. The faraway creep of the familiar song. The tweaked out grooves. The way all that goes bonkers fireworks style when it drops. A late entry to the “Midnight City” remix game but an absolute crusher in my book.
4. â™«Â KAMP! – Cairo (Moullinex Remix)Â / This one gets stuck in your head and then lays little dancing critters that bust synchronized dance routines every time you poorly sing along.
3. â™«Â Lana Del Rey – Video Games (Hannes Fischer Video Remix)Â / The best slow-build payoff ever. Turn it up loud. Goose bumps. Every time.
2. â™«Â Tim & Jean – I Can Show You (Jump Jump Dance Dance Remix)Â / Just try to hold back the sunshine blazing from every pore of this jam. I will dance every time I hear this remix. Guaranteed.
1. â™«Â The Notorious B.I.G – Everyday Struggle (Frogs in Socks BiG Bootleg)Â / Just as you get your head around the odd and minimal beat you realize that Biggie sounds clearly than ever and everything fits in such anÂ awkwardlyÂ perfect way you wonder how such a thing could exist. Then you understand that the world is full of all sorts of miracles that nobody can explain.
///Â ZIP FileÂ ///
Artwork byÂ Jacob Youngblood Ziegler
Be sure to catch all the 2011 â€œBEST OFâ€ lists!
Artwork byÂ Jacob Youngblood Ziegler
Brandon’s TBE Digest is a place where I gather up all the recent jams that are worth a listen (or 10) but don’t necessarily need their own post. Here you will find new tracks by known bands, remixes, covers, and even mashups if they are interesting. My favorites of the lot are inÂ bold.
A big batch of goodies this time round. Plus, since it’s a nice round number Jacob Youngblood Ziegler hooked us up with a fancy Anniversary Edition of the TBE Digest art. Stare at it in awe as you listen.
For more jams by any of these artists use the â€˜tagsâ€™ links at the bottom of the post!
NEW RELEVENT JAMS
â™«Â Phantogram – Don’t MoveÂ / Phantogram return with the Nightlife EP and this is a great sign of the continued sexiness these two are working with.
â™«Â Body Language – Seeds of SightÂ / More spaced out sex funk from one of Brooklyn’s finest.
i can feel it in my feet
â™«Â Humans – Bike Home
Reading my post on Humans’s awesome track “Avec Mes Mecs” from last year I realized I pretty much said it all already. (Plus I realized I may have gotten less funny this year. Sad…) So what if their debut EP is a year old now, its time to put some more spotlights on one of Vancouver’s finest! Since I last wrote about them, the duo has produced a fun video for “Aec Mes Mecs” as well as a brilliant video for one of two new tracks, “THE END” (below). So I finally got off my lazy ass and bought that EP and have been grooving ever since. Nothing is as epic as “Avec Mes Mecs” but you can hear plenty of genetically strong seedlings filling with audio chlorophyll. Tracks vary in vibes from the bendy funk bass fest of “Witness” to the indie rock chant along of “Mon Ton Ton” to the swirling build of “Bike Home” (above). Taking these jams and adding it to the evolution shown in the two new tracks (below) I am getting great feelings about these guys. Go Humans! Read more
who knew that all we had to do was party?
With an awesome piece of album art and a name we can all relate to, Humans are already off to a solid start. Try exfoliating with their blend of compressed synths, chilled vocals, pulsing beats, and mounting grooves, and you’ll instantly scrub away all the residue of a winter’s day. “Avec Mes Mecs” (French for ‘with my guys’) is the title track for The Vancouver duo’s debut EP and the jamÂ starts like a summer smoothie of good vibes and handclaps only to reveal that the booze had settled to the bottom and the party actually kicks off midway through. Speaking of parties! Human’s first video is for the super-funked out “Bike Home” (grab it free at their MySpace)Â and it features the best combo of puppets, sex, and police brutality I’ve see all year! Get on it, and then get on some Humans! Read more