Saturday night was the KitsunÃ© party at The Echoplex which featured a few bands and DJs but the highlight of the evening was obviously DWNTWN. I’ve seen them rock stages a handful of times (Texas included!) but Saturday was the first with their new live drummer. And it was awesome. Swagger and sexÂ appealÂ were overflowing from Read more
Hey Internet! Are you listening? Amazing sounds are being created here!
I had theÂ privilegeÂ of catching DWNTWN play on Saturday night and damn if they didn’t redefine what two people, one guitar, and a backing track can do to a stage. (TheirÂ enthusiasmÂ and stage presence easily out-performed M83 and theirÂ supposed epicness.) Plus, DWNTWN’s songs beyond the 2 we already know are all gold. But until we can get our hands on recorded versions of those jams they are keeping us satisfied with other treats. This cover of Angus & Julia Stone’s “Big Jet Plane” is a great part of their set and is beautifully rendered here. (plus has a video)
Then this new remix of Jessie and the Toy boys continues DWNTWN’sÂ traditionÂ of bonkers reworking of pop jams. Let the dance party begin. 2012, you’ve been warned.
Any glaring errors in judgement? Any additions you would make? Any good pizza in L.A.?
â™«Â = Click to play &Â right-click to download
25. â™«Â Humans – Avec Mes Mecs (Joseph Martin Remix)Â / Epic song. Turned up to 11. Who knew that all we had to was party?
24. â™«Â The Static Jacks – Into The Sun (RAC Maury Mix)Â / I like my bass (guitar) down low.
23.Â â™«Â Kings of Leon – Sex On Fire (Al Fingers’ Juicy Remix)Â / Nope. It wasn’t all a dream. It really happened and it was good.
22. â™«Â Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata (Sound Remedy Remix)Â / Don’t fuck with a classic unless you are going to do it justice. That goes double for my dog Beethoven. Good thing justice was served! Plus: wobbles I can stand.
21. â™«Â Enrique Iglesias – I Like How It Feels (DWNTWN remixxx)Â / The original was on in every clothing store in the world for a while there. Making it massively enjoyable again is a huge feat.
20. â™«Â Jeremy Glen – New Life (Amtrac Remix)Â / Soulful pipes strapped on express Amtrac headed for Danceville. Two tickets please.
19. â™«Â Jessie and The Toy Boys – Push It (Doctor Rosen Rosen Remix)Â / It’s all about the chopped up “ohh” beat. Ride it.
18.Â â™«Â Body Language – Holiday (RAC Mix)Â / Honey baked happiness! Candy coated danceability! Sugar roasted rhythms!
17. â™«Â M83 – Midnight City (Alcala Remix)Â / One of the top remixed songs of the year had stiff competition but Alcala’s slow build explodes the original into the stratospheric massiveness that it always hinted at.
16.Â â™«Â Grouplove – Colours (Foster the People Remix)Â / Grouplove and Foster The People? It’s like multiplying rainbows together. Of course it’s gonna be awesome.
15. â™«Â EverythingEverything – Final Form (Cats Hero Remix)Â / One of the most spastic bands around stay exactly that way. And all is good in the world.
14. â™«Â Gotye – Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) (The 14th Minute Remix)Â / Piano! There were exactly 427 remixes of this song last year. Only The 14th Minute’s makes this list. (Although some others actually were pretty good)
13. â™«Â Unouomedude – Frequency (The Soundmen Remix)Â / The Soundmen, man. The mutha-freakin Soundmen. Get some.
12. â™«Â Angus and Julia Stone – Big Jet Plane (Stern* Disco Remix)Â / I almost scared to hear the original for fear of ruining the wide-legged elastic swagger of this hot buttered groover. So sexy.
11. â™«Â Rihanna – We Found Love (Viceroy Remix)Â / Don’t hate. Dance. And make weird noises to the beat. No better or more refreshing take on this saturated jam.
10.Â â™«Â Theophilus London – Why Even Try (RAC Remix)Â / A thousand fantastic RAC mixes ago there was this one. The soundtrack to an indie carnival fun house. Classic.
9. â™«Â We Barbarians – Headspace (Grouplove + Captain Cuts Remix)Â / Remix tag team! This one goes off the high ropes at 0:40 for a full mat slam that keeps me pumped and robot dancing for like forever.
8. â™«Â Citizens! – True Romance (Gigamesh Remix)Â / From the moment Gigamesh drops that beat it’s all over. The windows are down and I’m practically climbing out the window to get the whipping wind on my face. Thank goodness for seat belts.
7. â™«Â Kelly Clarkson – Mr Know It All (It’s The DJ Kue Remix!)Â / DJ Kue absolutely crushed it this year. Radio pop has never had such a generous friend. You tell ’em Kelly! DJ Kue got your back!
6. â™«Â Donnis feat. Dev – Ring My Bell (DJ Hotsauce remix)Â / THE remix of the summer.
5. â™«Â M83 – Midnight City (remixÃ© par Who Killed JR)Â / The piano intro. The faraway creep of the familiar song. The tweaked out grooves. The way all that goes bonkers fireworks style when it drops. A late entry to the “Midnight City” remix game but an absolute crusher in my book.
4. â™«Â KAMP! – Cairo (Moullinex Remix)Â / This one gets stuck in your head and then lays little dancing critters that bust synchronized dance routines every time you poorly sing along.
3. â™«Â Lana Del Rey – Video Games (Hannes Fischer Video Remix)Â / The best slow-build payoff ever. Turn it up loud. Goose bumps. Every time.
2. â™«Â Tim & Jean – I Can Show You (Jump Jump Dance Dance Remix)Â / Just try to hold back the sunshine blazing from every pore of this jam. I will dance every time I hear this remix. Guaranteed.
1. â™«Â The Notorious B.I.G – Everyday Struggle (Frogs in Socks BiG Bootleg)Â / Just as you get your head around the odd and minimal beat you realize that Biggie sounds clearly than ever and everything fits in such anÂ awkwardlyÂ perfect way you wonder how such a thing could exist. Then you understand that the world is full of all sorts of miracles that nobody can explain.
///Â ZIP FileÂ ///